how much traffic is going to my site

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Busy...

UPDATE: 08/08/08
(How many times will I ever type that date again...)

Doing what, you might wonder? The first predicted dry spell of the summer -- and this is the task underway:

Click for Larger ViewRotten wood roof decking, trapezoidal roof planes, no drip edging, huge gaps between the facia and roof decking, a pathetic, leaky plastic bubble jokingly referred to as a "sunroof", installation of sistered rafters, squirrel and wasp nests in the eaves, and exceedingly poor original construction quality makes this McHouse a real treat to work on.
Click for Larger ViewIt is a loooong way down -- about 45 feet from the highest point.
Click for Larger ViewSome progress is being made -- but will I finish before the thunderstorms? If the 101 degree heat, scorching sun, and mosquitoes don't kill me first, I might...
Click for Larger ViewUPDATE: 08/08/08
About a third done -- much shingle trimming and step flashing to fit for sunroof and plumbing vents. Should fly once past these obstructions.
Click for Larger View
Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger View

More as additional progress is made...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you win.

email me and I swing by and buy you a beer or tickle your butt as you climb on the scaffolding.

I'm not kidding about the butt tickling or the beer.

dcup84atgmaildotcom

Wed Aug 06, 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Wanted to thank you for coming by, by the way! That is quite a project you have going. Man it seems like it has been raining everyday and in the 60s for a month now here in Mass. Good luck!

Fri Aug 08, 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Dr. Know said...

I lurk a a lot, haven't had time to comment much since I started this mess on the first of August --dodging thunderstorms, replacing rotten framing and panels, hauling them 45 feet into the air in 100 degree heat. I should be done in a couple of days -- it's an 80 man-hour job.

BTW, 60 degrees sounds like paradise to me...

Fri Aug 08, 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Ok... now I'm convinced you're nuts... roof work in the middle of a Ga. summer.

(Hope you're nearly done now!)

Mon Aug 11, 01:09:00 AM  
Blogger Dr. Know said...

Well, Laura,
At this point I'm inclined to agree with your assessment of my mental health, however, it had to be done and it rained most of the "spring." Or rather the meteorologists claimed that it would. And since nothing is more disasterous than a missing roof in the middle of a thunderstorm, I erred on the side of caution. And you are right, the blazing sun and heat are so bad at noon'ish that the tools get to hot to handle and the shingles melt in your hands. So I work only in the morning and then again in the evening. It's nearly done now -- maybe another 6 hours or so. If I had my way I would do it at 4:00am, but the neighbors have kids. My next house in the woods, however, will be built entirely by moonlight. ;-)

Thanks for dropping by!

Mon Aug 11, 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Not sure why, but I love the idea of a house built by moonlight.

;-)

Wed Aug 13, 01:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home