how much traffic is going to my site

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

No Link Between Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer

This is an odd bit which, quite frankly, I find surprising.

No Link Between Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer
People who smoke marijuana - even heavy, long-term marijuana users - do not appear to be at increased risk of developing lung cancer, according to a study to be presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference on May 23rd.

I would be interested in seeing more research on this controversial subject, as well as a study of the veracity of marijuana as a gateway drug, as is commonly claimed. My opinion is that the effects of alcohol, which is both popular and legal, represent a greater danger to society than marijuana, which is popular but illegal. My observations have also led me to the conclusion that alcohol is as much (and probably more so) a gateway drug leading to cocaine, crack, and methamphetamine use than is marijuana. Additionally, violent behavior is much more prominent among heavy alcohol users and is a leading factor contributing to domestic altercations. However, due to the illegality of these drugs, distribution channels are shared, thereby linking these two types of drugs to a common source. Just something to consider the next time you pop the top on a cold beer...

For those who might have raised an eyebrow at this point, allow me to explain that my sister was a bartender, and I've observed the behavior of the patrons of many a night club around Atlanta. Admittedly, this was 20 years ago, but I doubt things have changed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home